Have you guys heard of Houzz? It’s a website I’ve looked at for many years for home decorating or theme ideas. They feature each room of the house in different sections, you can search by metro area, save your ideas, and figure out where to purchase some things featured in photos.
Since I downsized from a 3,000 square foot house in Arizona to a 900 square foot condo in Arizona, to my current 600 square foot apartment in New York City, I have started to learn a few things and get more interested in home organization. When we moved into our apartment we had so much stuff we didn’t have any place to put a lot of it. The closets are small, the kitchen is small, and we didn’t have extra storage space for the first 2 months.
I recently started looking at Houzz again for inspiration for organizing our apartment, and in general fantasizing about having a larger space and what we could do with it! For most people it isn’t realistic to have a complete renovation to create and build in storage, especially when you rent. It’s also not affordable to do everything all at once, so here are a few ideas for upgrading your home, adding organization, or just adding in some character!
Focus on the food storage containers, which are airtight.
This helps your pantry look more uniform rather than all sorts of different boxes, bags, shapes, and colors.
Interested in this look for your pantry? Shop containers below:
Other ideas inspired by “Organization”:
Thinking of getting organized this weekend? Here are some great items to add to your home to help you be able to keep your items together and easier to find!
- Top left: Drawer organizers. For example, add one to your lingerie drawer to keep your underwear separate and easier to grab in the morning (6 for $11!).
- Top right: A neutral color side table for right inside the front entry door. A place to set your keys and mail on the way in, or to set items you need to grab in the morning on your way to work. I love the area on top where you can organize your mail (in/outgoing).
- Middle left: I have a few of these in my closets to keep things together. For example, I use them to keep extra bathroom items (lotions, hair stuff) that I sometimes buy in bulk to save money, but do not have room for in our tiny bathroom.
- Middle right: I need something like this for our shoes!
- Bottom left: Different sizes depending on your drawers – these are great for keeping your cutlery/utensils in the kitchen.
- Bottom right: Organization on the wall for your life! Keep your tasks in order by keeping them on your calendar or posted on notes on your corkboard.
What do you do to keep organized?